Stanley on Valentine's Day!

February 14, 2021 Valentine's Day!

Me: Hi Stanley! It looks like you’re writing something. Have you been out here all morning?
Stanley: I have. I got up early because it’s Valentine’s Day you know. I am writing a poem for my beautiful Frog Queen. This poetry stuff is not as easy as it looks.
Me: No. you’re right, it’s not. I’ve found writing poetry to be challenging myself. Fun to write though if you can do it. It looks like you’ve got quite a lot written though.
Stanley: Well, I’ve started four different poems and I’m not sure how to finish any of them.
Me: Oh, well that's a start. Do you feel like sharing? Maybe I can help.
Stanley: Yes. That would be great if you would, but don’t you be all judgey, okay? <grinning> Here’s the first one:
Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
I’d rather be dead
Than use an old poem
To describe someone as
beautiful as you.
Me: Oh! Well, that’s beautiful. I see you started with an old favorite. And that’s really, um, very lovely. Do you like it?
Stanley: Maybe, but no, not really. I think I need to say things that are more personal, like from my heart. See what you think of this one.
My dear sweet lady Queen,
You make my heart sing
And my toes ping!
When I look into your eyes
It’s like a million skies.
I’m so happy. You and I are such a prize!
What do you think? No? Ok, maybe this one?
You’re always a lady,
Except when you’re not.
Such wonderful memories we have
And that makes me hot. <wink-wink>
Me: <cracking up> Okay. Oh wow Stanley. I’m not even sure what to say about these last two. They are fun and they do rhyme if that’s what you’re going for. Which one do you like the best?
Stanley: I like them all a little bit, but none of these are quite what I want to say. I have one more that’s more serious. Do you want to hear it?
Me: Sure! Bring it on!
Stanley: Okay. Close your eyes and listen.
How do I love thee?
Let me count the ways.
I love your big, beautiful golden eyes!
Especially when you are looking into mine.
I love your gorgeous, long and slender green legs.
When we dance together you are soooooo fine!
I love your red, red lips and the promises they hold.
I love the way you sway your hips when you dance so bold.
I love the way you smile at me with your eyes and your heart.
Your beauty is so deep, you are like an expensive piece of art.
Me: <laughing> I’m sorry Stanley, you had me going there until you got to the “piece of art” line.
Stanley: I was trying to end in a rhyme.
Me: I see that. <still chuckling> That’s really a beautiful poem. It sounds like it’s truly from your heart and sharing how you feel about her. That’s very nice. I think she will love it.
Stanley: It is how I feel about her, but I don’t want her to laugh like you did. I may need to change that last line if I go with that one.
Me: Maybe. It does rhyme. And there's nothing wrong with laughter you know. I do think you're on the right track with that one. It will make her happy.
Stanley: Okay. Okay. Let's think through this. <reading> I love the way you smile at me with your eyes and your heart. Your beauty is so deep . . . What are some other words that rhyme with heart?
Me: Cart, tart, dart, mart, part, smart? Hmmm How about “Your beauty is so deep, I want to add you to my shopping cart? <laughing out loud now>
Stanley: Uh huh. I think I need some of that Bailey’s in my coffee too. What if I said "Your beauty is so deep, I hope you’ll be my sweetheart!”
Me: Wow! Yes! That’s very good Stanley! I’ll go get the Baileys.



Comments

Popular Posts