"Fine As Frog Hair" June 30, 2024

 


Woo hoo! Having coffee with Stanley this morning! I love this little guy!

Me: Hi Stanley! I’m so glad to see you.
How are you?
Stanley: Me? I’m as fine as frog hair! bahahahaha!!<choking on his coffee>
Isn’t that hilarious? A frog who’s fine as frog hair?
Me: <laughing> That is a funny saying.
I wonder where it came from?
Stanley: I don’t know but I laugh every time I hear it. It’s always funny to me that humans like to compare themselves to us critters.
You know like “sick as a dog”, “being in a rat race”, busy as a bee”. Haha. And how about someone who is being “squirrely”?
All of us critters are still scratching our heads about that one!
Me: I never thought about it but you’re right Stanley!
“Squirrely” is an interesting choice.
I think we humans sometimes struggle finding the exact words to try to describe how we feel ourselves or about someone else.
I’m thinking about what someone being called “squirrely” would be doing?
Stanley: According to “your” dictionary,
It means someone who is eccentric, flighty, or slightly odd. Or, very nervous, sensitive, strange, or unpredictable.
Hmm. You know squirrels could take offense to this?
Me: OMGOSH! I never thought about how all our references could make all the animals feel.
Stanley: That’s right!
We think of our squirrels as being resourceful, adaptable, playful, and very organized!
I guess most people just look at how squirrels move around and because they aren’t aware of what’s going on in the squirrel’s mind, they assume squirrels are being strange and unpredictable. Squirrels are much smaller than humans and they can move quickly. They are also great multi-taskers.
Imagine a giant looking at a human moving around doing things. It’d be like a really fast movie. So a giant might think humans are unpredictable and “squirrely” too! Hahaha
Me: <laughing out loud>. Yes!
So it’s really all about perspectives?
And relating it to our own experiences??
Stanley: I think so! And, sometimes it’s just not true. Just so you know, frogs don’t have hair! Haha
Me: Wait! What? Wow!
You’re my favorite frog Stanley!
I think you’re brilliant!
Video illustrates the cicadas laughing like "crazy people" at our conversation. 🐸🐸

Comments

Popular Posts