Stanley's Gratefulness List November 22, 2020

 November 22, 2020

Sundays on the Porch with Stanley
Hi Stanley. How are you today? I know we’re a bit late getting together and I’m sorry.
Stanley: That’s fine. I had a wonderful morning pondering things and putting my Gratefulness List together.
Me: Oh that sounds really nice. Do you do one every year?
Stanley: Yes. All of us critters do one every year. It’s a good idea to remember all the things we are grateful for, don’t you think? Especially around Thanksgiving.
Me: Yes. Yes, I do. And I love the idea that you all do a list. Do you share it with each other?
Stanley: We do! And this year, we’re changing it up a little. We’re writing one special thing we are grateful for about each other. It’s going to be a little like Valentine's Day cards, only Thanksgiving Cards, but they won’t be cards, they’ll be little pieces of paper with the grateful parts written on them. Then we’re going to go around and put them on each other’s doors all day on Thursday. Doesn’t that sound like fun???
Me: Oh it does sound like fun! Can I do it too?
Stanley: Of course! Anyone who wants to join us can. Do you want to see what I’ve written so far?
Me: Yes! You know I do. This is awesome Stanley.
Stanley: Okay. So here’s my first one for Hank Hawk – Hank, you are very helpful about getting us all to see things from a higher perspective. We appreciate you looking out for us. Please only eat the critters in the other yards.
Dragon Lady - I love hearing all your stories and adventures. I think you might be wise before your time. Sometimes you are scary though.
Raccoon – You are so smart and resourceful. Your curiosity sometimes gets you and us into trouble though. Please try to keep that in check.
Molly Mouse – Dear Molly, I am so grateful to you for reminding me to look at the small things around me in life. I hope you share your cheese again this year.
Snake – I am so grateful for your ability to alert us to changes coming. We are hoping you can slow down the skin shedding this year as these scare the children when they find your dead skins.
Tobias the Turkey – Thank you Tobias for teaching me to be grateful and content with what I have. You are a beautiful bird. I love the way you say Gobble Gobble. We aren’t planning to eat you. Ever. Just sayin.
Daisy the deer – Daisy, I love the way you move with grace and gentleness and I really love watching you jump the fence. You are amazing.
Turtle – Thank you for teaching me to “walk slowly and with determination like a turtle.” Please stay out of the road. That’s a place you need to be able to move fast.
Me: Stanley, these are beautiful and truly from your heart. It’s so lovely to hear how much you love and care for your critter friends.
Stanley: Yes, speaking of the love and caring for part. I’m having trouble writing a Gratefulness Note to you.
Me: Me? Why? I would think that one would be easy?
Stanley: Well, it would be except I think it’s harder to tell the ones closest to us and who understand us the most how we feel about them. And, you made me up, so it’s like I’m trying to be grateful to and for myself. Right?
Me: <smiling> Right. Thank you.



Comments

Popular Posts