Stanley on What Makes People Interesting? November 15, 2020

 November 15, 2020

Sundays on the Porch with Stanley Me: Good morning Stanley. How are you on this lovely soft (foggy) morning? Stanley: I’m doing very well. Thank you! I’ve heard you’ve been asking your friends about what they find interesting about other people this week. Me: Yes, I have. Do you have something you’d like to contribute? Stanley: I would. And I’m surprised you didn’t come to me sooner. You know I’m rather good at this sort of stuff. Me: You mean like deep thought-provoking questions and such? Stanley: Yes. I’m considered a very deep thinker. That Thinker guy’s got nothin' on me! Me: Oh, you mean The Thinker by Rodin? Stanley: hmmm . . . Well, that one too. I was thinking about Dobie Gillis. Do you remember him? Me: <laughing out loud> I’m cracking up here Stanley. Yes, I remember Dobie Gillis. But, I’m surprised that you do. How old are you anyway? Stanley: Let’s not get off-topic now. You were asking me about what makes people interesting to me. Right? Me: Yes! But I’m still reserving the right to swing back to Dobie Gillis and your age. <grinning big> Do tell! What makes other people interesting to you? Stanley: Well, I’m interested in other people who are interested in me. It’s really that simple. To further clarify, I don’t mean just me, but people who are also interested in other people. And this applies to critters too. No one in the bayou likes or wants to hang out with that rooster next door. He’s not interested in anyone but himself and actually he’s kind of a braggart and boring to boot. Me: Oh! Well, this took a turn I didn’t expect. <laughing> So, to circle back around again, you are most interested in people and critters who are also interested in others? Stanley: <sort of nodding> Thinking about this a bit more, but yes, I think that’s what makes them the most interesting. It’s sort of like a merry-go-round that way don’t you think? You know, like the horse wants to know the camel riding behind him, and the camel wants to know the rabbits flying behind her and the rabbits want to know . . . Me: Okay, I get it! At least I’m trying to. So, it’s about wanting to know about other’s lives and even maybe curious about their differences, etc? Is that close? Stanley: Yes. I think so. People who are curious and want to know more about others are generally more confident, intelligent, and open-minded themselves I think. Of course, I also like the odd balls out there. I want to know what makes them tick and why they are considered odd or weird. What do they know that I don’t? I think odd, different, weird, quirky people and critters are the coolest. Perhaps understanding oddness and all that is, is the real key to the universe. What do you think? Me: Wow! I hadn’t thought about it in that way before. My head is still sort of spinning around here trying to get my arms around this whole concept. Odd, quirky, and weird are concepts I do love. I need to think about who I know or have met that’s a bit odd or quirky and if this applies. Stanley: Ahem! Has it occurred to you yet this morning you are talking to an inanimate frog dressed in a sweat suit? Talk about odd. Case closed! <bwa-ha-ha-bwa-ha>



Comments

Popular Posts